Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Chorizo Pumpkin Soup...


I made this scrumptious soup yesterday. I really stocked up on canned pumpkin when it was available during the holidays because stores were starting to run out. Now I have a ton of canned pumpkin in my pantry so it was nice to find this recipe so I could use up a couple cans. This is a very good soup for cold January days.




Chorizo Pumpkin Soup
about 8-1 cup servings

1 lb Chorizo sausage or any other sausage you would prefer
1 medium onion - diced
2 stalks celery - diced
2 medium apples - peeled and diced
2-16 0z cans pumpkin puree
2 to 3 cups low sodium chicken broth to reach the consistency you like
ground cinnamon - to taste
ground nutmeg - to taste (I used freshly ground)
salt and pepper to taste

1. Brown the sausage and add the onion and celery and cook for about 5 minutes until the onion and celery are starting to get soft.
2. Add the apple, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and pepper and cook about 5 minutes more.
3. Add the canned pumpkin and chicken broth. Keep adding chicken broth until it reaches the thickness you like. I like mine a little thick.
4. Bring to a boil, cover, lower heat and let simmer for 30 minutes.
5. Enjoy! :)


3 comments:

Bonita said...

Top Foods has Libby's pumpkin on sale right now - I thought of you!

Jess said...

Ahhh, I was so going to make this today and I picked up the sausage and pumpkin puree and I realized when I got home I got canned pumpkin pie filling.

Sigh. That's what I get for trying to shop with all three kids in tow!

Jess said...

We made this tonight, it was delicious!