THE CHRISTIAN BATTLE
I Peter 5: 8, 9
January 9th, 2000
“Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil walks about like a roaring lion, seeking whom he may devour. Resist him steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same sufferings are experienced by your brotherhood in the world.”
The Explanation - verse 9
1. Common Suffering - This passage teaches that the Christian brotherhood shares a common suffering. No Christian is exempt. Suffering is our appointment based on our connection with Christ.
2. From a Common Source - Your adversary, the devil, has been the enemy of God’s people from the time of his fall.
The Exhortation - verse 8
1. Common Caution - We are to be cautious and watchful all the time. The devil never takes a day off, never observes a holiday. He told the Lord that he “walked up and down throughout the earth.”
2. Common Conflict - Resist him steadfast in the faith. All Christians are to resist. Steadfast means unrestricted determination by standing firm in the Word, the body of revealed truth.
The Enemy - verse 9
1. His Character - A roaring lion striking fear into the heart.
2. His Custom - Walking about seeking someone to devour. Satan is always on the move, always hungry for more victims.
HOWEVER, remember John said, “He that is in you is greater than he that is in the world” (I John 4:4). This promise is ours in the midst of every battle no matter how severe the fight rages.
Love to all.
--Pastor Charles Covington 1933-2006