Thursday, May 09, 2013

Spring happenings...

Well, I figured it was time for another post since it's been almost two months since I last posted.  I am glad to get back to blogging.  I have a few plans for my blog and my Etsy shop coming up soon.

The above picture is of the pond on my parents' property.  My veggie garden plot is right next to it so I have a lovely view when I am working in my garden.  Sadly though as summer gets closer the pond will dry up until fall comes around again.

To get my garden ready I removed all or most of the gravel that had been between the beds.  I purchased a yard of organic compost and incorporated it all in into the soil.  I bought some straw to put between the beds. Daniel helped me spread the straw around and he thought it was the funnest job ever.  He did such a good job of making sure the straw didn't get in the beds. This is a trick my mother-in-law uses and I really wanted to try it this year.  Eventually when I put my beds to rest at the end of the fall the straw will be a little more broken down and I will turn some of it into my beds.  So far I have planted onions, garlic, kale broccoli, lettuce,carrots, fennel, beets, bush beans, zucchini, butternut squash, spaghetti squash, pumpkins and potatoes.

We've had some amazing weather the past week.  Daniel and Daisy spent quite a bit of time in the sprinkler and slip and slide. 


Nothing like the pure happiness of a little boy playing in the sprinkler.




And here my sweet little niece Adaryn now 2 months old.  Time sure flies!  I love squishing her all up and I don't get to do it nearly enough.  :)

Happy spring everyone! 








No comments: