Thursday, March 23, 2006

Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

I found this recipe for whole wheat chocolate chip cookies and decided to try it. I have always wanted to try to make cookies with whole wheat and now that I am on a diet this is the perfect time. I made the batch yesturday and took half of them to Bible Study with me this morning. The ladies enjoyed them a lot. They do not taste like an original fattening chocolate chip cookie but they are still very delicious. They have a bit of a nutty taste because of the whole wheat pastry flour. They are kind of between chewy and soft. The recipe still uses sugar but it is half of what you would use for regular cookies. (I may try to use Splenda next time and see how they do.) Also you only use 2 tbls butter and replace the rest with nonfat sour cream. I was skeptical at first, but I was wrong. This is definitely a delightful little cookie! :)


Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies

makes 36 cookies

1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
3/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup sugar
2 tbls unsalted butter, softened
1/2 tsp vanilla
1 large egg white (I used the whole egg)
1/4 cup nonfat sour cream ( I used reduced fat sour cream since that is all I had)
1/2 cup mini semisweet chocolate chips (you really should use mini
because this is such a small cookie)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cover two cookie sheets with parchment paper or lightly grease or coat with nonstick cookie spray.

2. Combine the flour, baking soda, and salt in a small bowl, cream the sugars and butter until smooth. Stir in the vanilla, egg and sour cream. Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir until well blended.

3. Drop the dough by rounded teaspoonfuls 2 inches apart onto the prepared cookie sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes until just set. Slide the cookies on the parchment paper onto a countertop to cool, or remove cookies from the sheets and cool on a wire rack.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

They are DELIGHTFULLY DELICIOUS!!

Mom =0)

GWD said...

I'd love one, for a bedtime snack, with a glass of milk...

Bonita said...

Now, how did his name get on MY comment! He must have forgotten to sign out....that was me wantin' a cookie.