Wednesday, December 21, 2005

Perfect Creamy Cauliflower Soup





This recipe is from the book Fit for Life by Harvey and Marilyn Diamond. I made it last night and it is wonderful! It is really simple, very tasty and very healthy for you. I hope you will try it. :)


Perfect Creamy Cauliflower Soup

2 tbls butter
1 tbls olive oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
6-8 scallions chopped (I just added a little extra onion)
1 clove garlic, minced
2 stalks celery, chopped
2 medium cauliflower, cored and coarsely chopped
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp curry powder (optional, I didn't use this)
1/8 tsp ground black pepper
1/2 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried basil
1 tsp dried savory or marjoram
6 cups water (boiling if disolving chicken bouillon cubes)
2 tbls white miso (I used 4 chicken bouillon cubes and disolved them in the 6 cups of water)
1/8 tsp ground nutmeg (optional, I didn't us this)

In heavy soup kettle melt butter. Add oil. Add onion, scallions and garlic. Add celery and cauliflower. Add seasonings. Mix well and cook uncovered over medium heat for several minutes, stirring frequently. Add water and miso. Bring to a boil. Simmer covered over medium heat for 15 minutes or until cauliflower is tender. Remove cover and cool slightly. Puree in small increments in blender until smooth and creamy. Reheat adding nutmeg if desired. Serves 4.

8 comments:

Bonita said...

It is an art to make a good creme soup - I hope Daisy enjoyed it.

Anonymous said...

This is a great soup! I am not a vegetarian, but I must say that there is not a single recipe from the "Fit For Life' book that I didn't find to be outstanding. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I wanted to make this soup for an elegant party I'm having this weekend, and can't find the recipe book! My Internet search has been well rewarded with your submission of the cauliflower soup! thanks.

Anonymous said...

Hi! Thanks for posting this recipe, it used to be a favourite in my youthful twenties, I couldn`t remember the seasonings and thought for sure someone would have it on the net, such a delicious soup, hope my children will think so too!
Thankyou!

Annie said...

You are very welcome Julie! You now make 2 people who were hunting for the recipe on the internet and my blog is what popped up! I hope you enjoy the soup! :)

Anonymous said...

Hello! This is Julie back for this same recipe, you would think I`d write it down. Ive had an enjoyable read of your blog so it`s been nice to visit again!
All the best! Julie

Anonymous said...

This is like comfort food without the guilt! I always add more curry powder and swapped out the celery for a yellow squash and it was amazing. Best soup ever - thanks for posting it!!

Anonymous said...

I love this soup and have been making it for years. My question is, when it asks for celery, did the writers mean "rib" of celery rather than "stalk"? I always thought a stalk of celery was the whole bunch. There is really nothing you can do wrong with this recipe because I have made it both ways. However, if I want to make it "perfect" I'd like clarification. I would guess they meant rib, otherwise it would serve more than 4.
Thanks for your help.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Anonymous - too many cooks indicate a "stalk" of celery in their recipe - the whole bunch - when what they really mean is "rib." But Marilyn Diamond supposedly had a culinary background, so you would think she knew better, and now we're left to guess what she meant.