Saturday, February 25, 2012

Another gluten free breakfast cookie...


Once again I am writing another post about gluten free breakfast cookies in my quest for finding that perfect on-the-go (tasty) gluten free breakfast. These little cookies are so good! They are pretty small so about two or three of them is about the size of a good sized granola bar. (I used a salad plate in picture so they look bigger in the picture than they actually are.) Daniel loved them. He gobbled up two this morning. He was pretty sure he was to getting to eat cookies for breakfast. There is a little bit of sugar in these but not nearly as much as a regular cookie. They will be perfect for taking camping and packing on hikes. This one is a recipe I changed up a bit for my taste. Here is my recipe.

1 1/2 cups gluten free baking flour
1 1/2 cups gluten free rolled oats
1/4 cup ground flax seed meal
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 very ripe bananas mashed
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1 tbls olive oil
4 tbls unsalted butter, melted
1 tsp vanilla
egg substitute, equivalent of 2 eggs

  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
  2. In a large bowl mix together the flour, oats, flax seed, baking soda, baking powder, salt, cinnamon and sugars.
  3. In a small bowl mash the bananas, add the chopped walnuts, oil, melted butter, vanilla and egg substitute.
  4. Add the wet mixture to the dry mixture and combine well.
  5. I used my baking stone to bake the cookies so I didn't need to grease it. But if you don't have one then I would use a parchment paper lined cookie sheet. I used a 2 oz scoop to form the cookies. I pressed them down just a little bit.
  6. Bake for 12 minutes and cool on a wire rack.
  7. To store put in a freezer bag and keep in the freezer. To thaw nuke a couple in the microwave for a few seconds. Enjoy!

And here's a picture for the road. I was in the kitchen the other morning and when I came out Daniel had laid out blankets all in a row and was sitting on them watching cartoons. When he saw me he told me he was riding a train. Too cute! :)



1 comment:

randi--i have to say said...

my hubs has been eating gluten free for a while and i must say that it's a challenge to find good recipes. thanks for posting this! :)