Wednesday, January 11, 2006

25 days and counting...


Today marks the 25th day of rain straight here in the Puget Sound. Some people might moan and complain about how terrible the weather is. It is kind of funny when you watch the news because the reporters seem to complain about the weather no matter what it is like. If it is raining then it is bad weather. If it is cloudy it is bad weather. If it is snowing it is bad weather. If it is really cold then it is bad weather. If it is sunny and really hot then it is bad weather. The only time the weather is good is when it is sunny and 65 degrees. But where is the fun in only enjoying the weather when it is "perfect". I remember something my pastor's wife said a couple years ago. "The sunny weather is wonderful for going outside, working in the yard, swimming, hiking, camping and all the great things that go along with it. Rainy weather is wonderful for staying warm and cozy inside and getting all the things done inside that you don't do when it is sunny." When she said that I realized that I should not complain about the weather. No matter what the weather is like there is always activities that will go along with it. So, I am really enjoying all the rain we are having. I love to hear it pounding on the roof at night, lulling me to sleep. I love to curl up with a cup of coffee or tea while the ran is pouring down and read a good book or watch a movie and work on my crosstitch. I just don't feel right watching a movie in the afternoon when it is sunny outside. But when it is raining I feel no guilt at all. Another fun thing that I love to do is go walking in the rain WITHOUT an umbrella! If you have never tried this then I highly recommend you do.
So the next time you want to complain about the weather, stop and think about all the things you can do when it is raining, snowing, sunny or hot.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I finally went for a walk in the rain today, without an unbrella. But, I stayed close to home, just went along some of the blocks. Then, Taraz told me about his bread in the pantry, and he encouraged me to go down to Point Defiance to feed the gulls - so I did. It was just starting to get dark, and I loved it. The late sunset in the sky added a wonderful glow to an otherwise rainy day.