Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Spiders

Yesterday I was reading BlueBerryPatch (a blog) and MrEddie brought up insects that come out in September. This reminded me of the critters that tend to come out around here in August and September, SPIDERS!! We do have spiders all year round, but the ones that come out in later part of summer or absolutely disgusting!
There are two kinds actually. There are these ones that are orange and black spotted and they have a huge, round rear-ends. They make their webs in the most inconvenient spots and I am usually the one to walk face first into one. The worst part is when the spider in on the web and then he starts crawling all over you. I do a crazy dance and eventually get him off. And then of course I have the heebie-geebies the rest of the day. Any little itch that I might have I immediately think, "SPIDER!" and I do the dance all over again. The worst time is when I don't realize there is a spider on me. I am calm and collected as can be and then I see IT out of the corner of my eye crawling up my leg. There goes my serene day!
Then there are the huge long brown ones that are hairy. They are not as big as a tarantula but still they are pretty big for around here. They always seemed to show up in the bathtub. I would wake up all groggy and pull back the shower curtain. I was awake in an instant. I would then recruit my mom, dad or brother to then kill the spider. Of course I hardly ever asked my brother to do it because he had the tendency to throw the spider on me after he had smushed it. My beautiful shower was then ruined as I was on the lookout for anymore. The worst was when I wouldn't have my contacts in and I would climb under the nice warm water and then right next to me head on the wall there would be one of those MONSTERS!! Again, a scream would ring forth and I would come flying out of the bathroom (with a towel, of course) and my family would decide who would be the one to kill the spider this time.
There have been a few times when I would get out of bed in the morning and feel something soft under my foot. I wouldn't think anything of it and then later on that day I would find a smushed big brown MONSTER on my bedroom floor. (I also did it once in the living room. I have no clue haw I managed to step on so many without knowing it but it creeps me out to think that there were that many in the house!) I would get the heebie-geebies realizing that I had killed it with my bare feet! Then there were those two times that I climbed into bed and then remembered something I needed to do. I would come back to find that I had laid down on top of one of those MONSTERS!! And thus again the heebie-geebies would begin. Those nights I had a really hard time falling asleep. I would rip all the covers and sheets off making sure there were not anymore and I would do that for the next several nights, just in case.
Now that I am married I have my husband to kill the spiders, but unfortunately he gets creeped out from smushing them. So we both stand there staring at the spider arguing who is going to kill it this time. I will say that he is usually the one who ends up with the gruesome task! :)

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I have to do the spider killing in our family - George is such a wuuss. He will kill one on the rug and leave it there for me to pick up.