Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Getting Ready!


Well, Rue and I have been discussing for a little while and we decided in June to start trying for a baby! I am really excited but also a little scared since this is something totally new to me. But I am mostly excited! I went to the doctor yesterday to make sure I am healthy and also to ask questions on what I need to do physically to prepare. She told me that I should begin taking pre-natal vitamins and a calcium supplement right now. (I am already taking a multi-vitamin everyday so I am already in the habit.) The hardest thing though to have to deal with is my weight. I am heavier than I should be and so of course this isn't good because once I get pregnant I will gain more weight. So I am going to do something pretty scary and tell you all my weight! I am 5'4" tall and weigh 181 pounds. That is much to much weight for my height. So, my doctor and I discussed how much weight would be best for me to lose by June. She suggests losing no more than 5 pounds a month. This is healthiest for my body and will also help me to keep it off in the future. Then she said that once I get pregnant I should only gain between 20 and 25 pounds. This will ensure that I can lose the baby weight a lot easier.
So my plan is to lose 5 pounds a month until June. I am hoping that posting my efforts on my blog will give me some good accountability. I will post how I do each day, every evening. Once a week I will post my weight.
So here is my plan for reaching my goal of 150-155 pounds by June:

Exercise:
4 times a week--cardio on elliptical, bike, or treadmill for 45 minutes
(any extra physical activity, like hiking with Rue, will be considered extra)
3 times a week--strength training on weight machines for 25 minutes


Nutrition:
1. Wait to eat until I am actually hungry.
2. Eat only a true portion size. (Good rule of thumb: my stomach is only about the size of my fist.)
3. Drink 6-8 cups of water a day.
4. Eat 3 cups of vegetables a day.
5. Eat 2 cups of fruit a day.
6. Drink 3 cups of low-fat milk a day.
7. Limit sugar to a once a week treat.
8. Pray before EVERY meal!

My biggest struggle with food is when I am all by myself. I tend to munch away. Not good! So in order to combat that bad habit I plan on having a "to-do list" for when I am tempted. Having those things to do will help keep my mind off food.
If anyone has any other helpful tips for me please feel free to share them! Also please pray for us as we are preparing for this new addition to our family. We so much want a family that brings glory to our Lord and Savior! :)

3 comments:

Bonita said...

I'm so happy to hear that you and Ruh want to start your family; I think it will bring you much joy and happines, and I know you are excited.

Weight issues are an individual thing during pregnancy. Talking to your doctor is best. He can advise you - just staying active and happy is good. Count blessings instead of calories...

You are always going to be beautiful, especially so when you are caring for your family.

mreddie said...

Sounds like a busy year to me. Being accountable does help in ventures like that. May the Lord help you to succeed!! ec

Annie said...

Thanks Mel! You look so good now, I never would have guessed that you used to be 212 pounds! Good for you! If you can do it, I can do it. Rue and I just got a couples membership to the Gig Harbor Athletic Club. I used to go there right when I graduated from high school. I went yesturday morning and it felt great! I am going again tonight. I can't wait to start feeling better just from having good exercise. I will tell Rue you said hi and give him a squeeze! :)