Friday, January 20, 2006

Fresh Apple Walnut Cake


It was my turn to bring the snack to Bible study yesturday. I found this cake recipe in Woman's Day magazine. I wouldn't say that it is a dessert cake but more of an "afternoon-with-a-cup-of-coffee" cake. :)

Fresh Apple Walnut Cake

Good served with sweetened whipped cream

2 cups sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp each baking soda, cinnamon and salt
1 1/2 cups oil
3 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups chopped unpeeled apples
1 cup chopped walnuts

1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Grease, but don't flour, a 10-12 inch bundt pan.
2. Mix sugar, flour, baking soda, cinnamon and salt in a large bowl until blended. Stir in oil, eggs and vanilla, then apples and nuts.
3. Bake 1 hour, or until a wooden pick inserted in cake comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack before inverting on rack to cool completely.

2 comments:

Bonita said...

The thing about apple-walnut cake is that it sounds so good, you can smell it just reading about it. I always liked the desserts that the ladies brought to Bible Study - and Ruhiyyih always fixed me a cup of tea. Say "Hi" to Lucy, Nancy, and the others....

Sue said...

Mmm, sounds good. I have a very similar recipe, with raisins instead of walnuts. I usuallyuse a cup of wholewheat flour too instead of all white, and only a cup and a half of sugar. What I love best is not having to peel the apples!