Friday, January 20, 2006

Vanilla Pudding


Today I was reading one of my favorite blogs, blueberrypatch, and he wrote about all the ingredients that go into instant vanilla pudding. You should read it!
I hunted down a recipe for homemade vanilla pudding. Tomorrow I am going to make it and see how the taste compares to instant vanilla pudding. Here is the recipe:

Vanilla Pudding

1/3 cup white sugar
3 tbls cornstarch
1/4 tsp salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Add milk and cook over medium heat, stirring constantly until mixture thickens. Add vanilla and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
2. Pour into individual molds rinsed with cold water; chill until firm and unmold.

3 comments:

Bonita said...

I read MrEddies post on Pudding,and I was amazed at all the strange ingredients listed; clearly, we need more natural ingredients in our food. George bought a chocolate cake the other day, and the flavorings were all artificial - no wonder I didn't get the euphoria I usually have when I eat chocolate!

mreddie said...

The ingredients are very close to the ones I use when I make the pudding part of banana pudding. I might have to try that as well. ec

Sue said...

a-ha. Now I now what vanilla pudding is! I followed you here from MrEddie's blog out of curiosity. (I'm not in the USA and don't know about most American foods).

It sounds much like what we call 'chocolate blancmange' which is made with the same ingredients, plus either cocoa powder or melted chocolate. I think it can be bought in instant form too in the UK (where I come from) but seems a bit pointless as it's so easy to make. Particularly in the microwave.