Monday, January 23, 2006

Quilts


On the back of my couch is a quilt that my gramma made me for my 18th birthday. I also have a gorgeous, huge king size quilt that the ladies made at our church as a wedding gift. They also had people write on the back of it little messages to us. I will cherish it forever. I think that having quilts around the house makes it fell more cozy. I am actually working on a nine-patch quilt right now. On our honeymoon Rue graciously let me shop in a quilt store in a little town on the coast of Oregon. I bought a bundle of reproduced vintage lavander fabrics. They all have a different pattern but are all lavender. (And lavender is my favorite color.) I don't get to work on it much, but when I do I enjoy it. I love to see how patterns and colors can fit together. Just this morning I went to the scrapbook store and looked through all the pretty papers. They have them all sorted out already by color and pattern. I almost wish they would just mix them all up because it is so much fun trying to find patterns and colors that match.
Well here are some quilts I found pictures of that I thought were beautiful. You have to have great talent to make quilts like these.



The Calico Garden Quilt
1950



The Clarissa White Alford Quilt

1886


The Elizabeth Green Quilt

1852


The Sarah Johnson Quilt

1826


The Pincushion Quilt

1835

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I spent many years quilting; I would even quilt in the car on road trips. Those quilts all got used, and worn out, unfortunately...so most have been discarded. I hope you get your lavender quilt made - it is quite an accomplishment.