Monday, January 30, 2006

Getting Ready...


This last week I got my first Fit Pregnancy magazine in the mail! Reading it really got me all excited for a baby. There was a lot of information about nutrition before one is even pregnant, I found it really helpful.
They talked a lot about being overweight and pregnant. I learned that if I were to get pregnant now I should only gain 15 pounds. Hopefully though I will have lost my goal of 25 pounds by the time I get pregnant. They said that a woman only burns an extra 300 calories a day being pregnant. I would have thought it was a lot higher. That will definitely help when I am pregnant. I also learned that I should be taking lots of folic acid now. They didn't quite explain why but they did say that I should be taking up to 5 milligrams now and then continue taking that much through the first trimester to prevent neural-tube defects. (I have heard that not having enough folic acid causes spinabepheda, spelling?)
So, I really enjoyed reading the magazine. Seeing all the pictures of cute babies was fun too! :) Well, I am off to the gym!

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I've heard that if women in 3rd world countries could get folic acid it would bring down birth defects by over 50%...what a shame we can't prioritize this, and provide pre-natal care.

Your magazine sounds most informative, and I know you will look forward to it coming in the mail.