Thursday, February 23, 2006

Black Bean Soup


Here is a South Beach Diet recipe that I really enjoy. I have been on the diet for almost 2 weeks now and I find myself trying and enjoying new foods that I didn't before! Even my husband is enjoying all of the new and different foods I am making. This recipe can be eaten in the first phase and I have already made it twice. It is very filling and my step-daughter Daisy says that it tastes like you are eating a burrito! :) I put a little bit of shredded reduced fat cheddar on top and let it melt. Yum!


Black Bean Soup

Makes 6 servings

1 1/2 cups dried black beans
6 cups water
2 tbls extra virgin olive oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 rib celery, with leaves, chopped
Ground black pepper
1 tsp celery seeds
Juice of 1 1/2 lemons
1 lemon, sliced paper thin, for garnish
Leaves celery for garnish

1. Place black beans in a large bowl and cover with water. Add more water if necessary to cover the beans. Soak overnight. Drain the beans and add 6 cups of fresh water to the bowl.

2. Heat the oil in a large heavy-bottomed pot over medium heat. Add the onion, garlic and celery and cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes, or until tender. Add the beans and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer for 2 hours, or until beans are tender.

3. Remove half of the beans to a food processor or blender and process to puree, adding the liquid from the soup to cover. Add the black pepper to taste and the celery seeds. Return the pureed beans to the pot and heat, stirring, until the soup thickens. Stir in lemon juice.

1 comment:

Bonita said...

I love bean soup - all kinds of beans; and lentils too. Just so good for a winter meal with a slab of cornbread and honey.

I'm glad you are experimenting - both George and I love to cook, and when the family is young they are always hungry. Now, starting today, it is just the two of us, and I'm used to cooking for an army. Where to begin....well, maybe tacos at Taco Bell for tonite.