Monday, February 27, 2006

Wholesome Oat Muffins


Woohoo! Today I get to start eating whole grains and fruit again! I lost 4 pounds in the last two weeks and even though it is not as much as I wanted to lose I am still so happy that I stuck to the diet even though it was really really hard at times. I have lost all my cravings for junk food and am enjoying really healthy food.
For breakfast this morning I decided to make some Wholesome Oat Muffins. I heated one up when I got up this morning and sat down and enjoyed it.

Wholesome Oat Muffins

Makes 12 muffins

3/4 cup + 2 tabls oats
1 cup buttermilk (I used low-fat)
1 1/4 cup white whole wheat flour or whole grain flour
1 1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2/3 cups chopped walnuts
1/3 cup canola oil
1 egg, beaten
1/3 cup brown sugar substitute
1 tsp vanilla

1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Coat a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with cooking spray or line with paper baking cups.

2. In small bowl, combine 3/4 cup of the oats and the buttermilk. Let soak for 30 minutes.

3. In a medium bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, salt and walnuts.

4. In a large bowl, stir together the oil, egg, brown sugar substitute, and vanilla until well blended. Stir in the oat mixture. Stir in the flour mixture until just combined. Do not overmix.

5. Divide the batter evenly among the prepared muffin cups, filling them about two-thirds full. Sprinkle the remaining 2 tbls oats over the muffins. Bake for 11 - 15 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted into the center of a muffin comes out clean. Cool on a rack for 5 minutes. Remove to the rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

Bonita said...

I've made these for years, and they are soooo good; we take them on our hiking trips, canoe trips, and I store left-overs in the freezer for emergencies....An emergency for me is anytime I need something good to go with a cup of coffee. Wish I had one right now.

Janie said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Janie said...

Congradulations on loosing 4 pounds, very hard. I laugh and tell everyone I don't like to cook; I would rather mow the lawn and I retired from that a couple of years ago. LOL Just the 2 of us and not as easy when cooking a small meal. Blessings, Janie Marie

Anonymous said...

I'll be over in the morning for one of those muffins!

Love, Mom